Lymphedema is a chronic disease that goes hand in hand with post-mastectomy patients. Even if the oedema is not present visually, studies indicate that oedema is present at a cellular level within the relevant tissues. These tissues are therefore more likely to suffer from secondary oedema when special care is not taken.
Lymphedema can either be primary (congenital) or secondary which occurs due to a malfunction of the lymphatic system. Secondary oedema is the result of damage to the lymphatic system, as a result of surgery or lymph node dissection. It is very important to manage lymphedema from as early as possible. If you suspect that you may have oedema it’s best to see a lymphedema sister or specialist for treatment.
At Chin and Partners we can provide you with the compression garments for the maintenance phase of Lymphedema. The garments can either be bought off the shelf for standard measurements, or they can be made-to-measure.
The garments simultaneously provide the following:
- Effective compression; aimed at guaranteeing maintenance of the reduction in volume achieved during the initial phase.
- A retaining action guaranteeing that the oedema cannot regain more than a certain percentage of volume, irrespective of its intrinsic expansion force.
Please note all compression garments are available in a beige colour and the composition consist of polyamide microfibre elastane. There are 3 classes of compression of which only class 1 can be fitted without a doctor’s script.
The classes consist of:
- Class 1: 15-20mmHg
- Class 2: 20-36mmHg (need doctor’s script)
- Class 3: Greater than 36mmHg. (need doctor’s script)
- Sleeves (with or without mitten)
- Stockings (closed toe)
- tights with support briefs
- socks (open toe/closed toe)
- half tights (Thigh high) with support briefs
- Hand wash, cold wash.
- No fabric softeners
- Use a pH balanced detergent
- DO NOT hang up
- Place flat in the shade, on a towel to dry.